51 x 46,5 cm
Oil work describing the inside of a house gallery in Tomelloso where the objects and furniture are represented meticulously. On the right there are two sat women: Mrs. Rita Carranza, who is reading a newspaper, and her friend Mrs. Ángela Mulleras, who is embroidering closer to the window.
The artist enhances the space perception not only by using the object perspective, but also by using a light “out of focus” effect in the background objects, such as the mirror or the piano.
This artwork is full of light due to the natural light coming from the large windows on the right that the artist uses to draw the characters of this scene, together with a light and shadow effect. The left woman’s face seems to be unfinished, as the painter has used a greenish colour he would use later as a base to paint the skin tones.
This gallery was located in Tomelloso and belonged to an important family whose last descendant was Mrs. Rita Carranza, who passed away in mid-twentieth century.
The oil painting is signed on the lower left corner as “A. López Torres, 1926”.
Donated by Antonio López Torres in a public deed, 27.10.78.
- 1994, Exhibition «López Torres tribute», Arteta Gallery, Madrid.
- 1995, «Antonio López Torres, paintings and drawings», Centre of Modern Art Ciudad de Oviedo (CAMCO)
- 1998, «Antonio López Torres», Exhibition Hall of the Municipal Palace, La Coruña
- 2001, «Journalism and journalists. From the gazettes to the Internet», Museum of History of Catalonia, Palau del Mar, Barcelona
- 2002, «Antonio López Torres retrospective exhibition»
- Tour: art centre Centro Cultural de la Villa, Madrid; Victorio Macho Museum, Toledo; art centre Centro Cultural Caja Castilla-La Mancha, Albacete; Museum House Zavala, Cuenca; Antonio López Torres Museum, Tomelloso.